Monday, February 17, 2014

Perfect Timing

Just when you think you can't take another moment of winter. Just when you think the next snowflake may push you over the edge. Just when you think the next time you hear the words "Polar Vortex" you may jump out the window. Just when you think winter may drag into the 4th of July... something unexpected happens. Something that lets you know that no matter how bad things get, there will be always be relief. A sunrise after a dark night, a rainbow after a storm, a spring after the unrelenting, grueling grip of winter seems like it will never loosen its hold on me.

For me, that moment came last week. I walked through the door after a particularly hard day at work and Tami told me she had news that would make me feel better. I was pretty well beaten down and more than a little skeptical that she could make me feel better. I made guesses that involved my children or grandchildren. Being with them always cheers me up. That wasn't it. I asked if it involved food. A good meal always makes me feel better. That wasn't it either. After I'd exhausted all my guesses, I finally had to give up and let Tami tell me what it was that would make me feel better. She simply said, "How would you like to go on a cruise?". You'd think my first reaction would have been elation. It wasn't. Money is tight at the moment and a luxury vacation is not in the budget. So my first reaction was, "Yeah, right! Whatever!". I then asked how this would be possible. Tami showed me a letter that had come in the mail that day from Carnival Cruise Lines. It basically said we had been customers in the past and they wanted us back. In order to get us back they were offering us a free cruise. You would think I would be really happy now, right? Not so fast. My life experience has taught me if something sounds too good to be true... it usually is. Thinking this must be some sort of scam or at the very least a "bait and switch" sales tactic, I inspected the letter carefully for any small print that would reveal this letter to be a sham. I found nothing out of the ordinary. At this point my hopes were beginning to rise, but I was being cautious. I didn't want to be crushed by some hidden trick. I suggested we go right to the horse's mouth and call Carnival directly to confirm the validity of the offer. Tami called Carnival and sure enough the offer was legitimate. I was in disbelief! Nobody gives away free cruises, do they? Apparently they do. Ten minutes later, Tami and I were booked on a 5 day cruise out of Charleston, South Carolina to the Bahamas. We sail March 30th and return April 4th (my spring break). So it boils down to this... we have to pay the taxes (less than $200) and gas down there and back and the rest is on the house.

Just when we were at the end our ropes, we find out we will be in the tropics in less than 6 weeks. Somehow I feel like I can now handle whatever winter has left for us. I know it will be warmer in Cincinnati by then, but it won't be as warm as it will be in the Caribbean. I'm pretty sure Tami and I are still in shock and it won't seem real until we are on a cruise ship in March. Crazy. It's just crazy I tell you.

This is our ship. The Carnival Fantasy. It's the oldest ship in the fleet and quite small by modern cruise ship standards. But we don't care... it's plenty big for us and it's a FREE cruise.

No comments:

Post a Comment