Friday, February 7, 2014

Busting up concrete

A few days ago I mentioned our most recent bout of the white death. I'm sure you recall my description of the dreaded precipitation. It was like nothing I had ever seen (or shoveled) before. I failed to mention I had only shoveled a small portion of the driveway on Wednesday. Three days later, the driveway is now covered in what can only be described as a slab of concrete-like ice. You may think I'm exaggerating because of my hatred of winter, but this is an absolute accurate description of what is currently covering my driveway. Today I went out and attempted to shovel the white death. The white death laughed at my snow shovel as it bounced off the hard surface. It was a bit like trying to shovel a concrete slab with a plastic sand shovel.

Time for plan B. I used a flat nosed shovel to get under the solid sheet of ice/rock and it started coming up in very large chunks. I'm telling you folks, it was exactly like busting up a slab of concrete. Some of these chunks were 2' x 2' or even larger. They were just like chunks of concrete, just not quite as heavy.

After an hour and a half, I dragged my aching back into the house and felt like I'd been through the wringer. The driveway is now about 75% cleared and hopefully some warmer temperatures will aid in weakening the rest of the ice and I will have a clean driveway in the very near future.

Have I mentioned my displeasure with winter? I'm finished with winter, but I'm afraid winter is not finished with me...

No comments:

Post a Comment