Friday, February 14, 2014

Hope Springs Eternal

It's mid February and as I type this, the weather forecasters are calling for 2-5 more inches of snow today. It will start falling while I'm at school which means I will have a long and slippery commute home this afternoon. This winter will now enter the record books as one of the top 5 snowiest winters in Cincinnati history. And I don't believe for a moment this is Old Man Winter's last gasp. I truly believe he has even more winter to throw at us in the coming weeks.

Having said that, I get to hear one of my favorite phrases today. PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT! That's right, folks. The Cincinnati Reds start spring training today. Just hearing that brings a glimmer of hope to my winter-weary bones. This also means the baseball season is only about 6 weeks away. You all KNOW how much I love baseball (and with baseball comes warmer weather and spring).

It's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel with the snow forecasted for today, but I know the light is there anyway. It's in situations like this I like to quote my grandma. She used to say, "It won't be as long as it has been". For many years I had no idea what that meant. I do now. There's more winter behind us than ahead of us. That's a good feeling. It won't be long before I hear the umpire shout, "PLAY BALL!"

No comments:

Post a Comment