Sunday, December 2, 2012

A Tremendous Challenge

In Sunday school we are learning about Philippians 2:14-15. This scripture reads: "Do all things without grumbling or questioning,that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a perverse and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world." Some translations say "Do all things without complaining, murmuring and disputing..." You get the general idea no matter what the translation.

You can file this under easier said than done. There was only one perfect person who ever walked the earth. Jesus as God incarnate was perfect. The rest of us.... not so much. This scripture is a tremendous challenge for me. People who know me would probably say I am even keeled and easy going. They may even say it's rare to see me angry. While this is basically true, you should also know I am quite the complainer. I am mostly quiet about it though. You won't hear me complaining loudly (that's just not my demeanor). I roll my eyes, grumble under my breath and silently seethe with a slow burn when I am not happy about something. I know I am not expected to be perfect, but I also know I am supposed to strive toward what Philippians 2:14 says. Jesus was persecuted and mocked and never once grumbled or complained... not in his entire earthly life. Me? I wasn't out of the Sunday school classroom 5 minutes before I was griping about something. It's not important what I was specifically griping about. It doesn't matter. The Bible says I should do ALL things without complaining. What's important is that I have a sinful heart and I am a slow learner. I can't promise anyone that I won't be complaining anymore. You all KNOW I will... every single day. All I can promise is to do my best to walk as Jesus walked. I will surely stumble all the way down the path, but I will stumble knowing I am forgiven by God's infinite mercy and grace.


No comments:

Post a Comment