Saturday, December 29, 2012

The Meyer Family Christmas

As a child and even as I grew into a young adult, the Meyer side of the family always celebrated Christmas on Christmas eve. This was my dad and mom, my siblings, my dad's brother (my Uncle Gary), their parents (my grandparents) and all my cousins. In 2001 we deviated from that pattern and haven't celebrated on the 24th since. When my dad died and when my grandparents died, I wasn't sure the tradition would continue. To my surprise it certainly has. The family make up is the only thing that has changed. Now my siblings and my cousins have families of their own. Sadly this is the only time we see my extended side of the family. I wish things were different, but it's the reality of the situation. This year I am going to make an effort to have a family gathering before next Christmas. As the heir to patriarchal Meyer throne (this means I'm the second oldest Meyer male behind only Uncle Gary), I think it's my responsibility to do this.

Anyway... yesterday the extended Meyer family got together and had a wonderful time. it's amazing to see how time is marching on and changing us all. The toddlers who used to run around like screaming banshees are now in high school and college. They bring their girlfriends and boyfriends (which feels strange). My Uncle Gary and Aunt Judy are senior citizens now and so are my mom and Cliff. The middle generation (me, my siblings and my cousins) are entering different seasons of life. It's strange that some of us are beginning to look ahead toward retirement. Even the younger generation isn't so young anymore.

All in all it was fun to see everyone and catch up on their lives. I truly hope it's not another year before we see all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment