Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Snow, ice and dating my wife

It's the day after Christmas and guess who (or what) decided to show up? Ice, snow and fierce winds. Brrrr and yuck! My disdain for all things winter has been well documented here. I won't blather on and on about it. I'll make just one statement. I CAN'T STAND WINTER! Today we are seeing ice, snow and high winds. Blizzard conditions. You can imagine how I feel about that.

However, there is an upside to today. If you've read this blog for very long, you know I sometimes stress the importance of dating your spouse. Yes, I'm talking about an evening out without the kids (trust me, they'll survive without you for an evening and may even enjoy a break from their parents). You know, maybe just a bite to eat or a shopping trip or on a rare occasion a movie. This should be done on a regular basis (weekly is best). I'm also talking about getting away together for the night. Tami and I do this twice a year. Once in July on our anniversary and once during Christmas break. Again, the children will survive without you. If they are small, get a relative or friend to babysit. It's worth it. Tami and I used to have an arrangement with several couples... you watch our kids for a night and we will return the favor. It worked out splendidly. When your kids get old enough to leave alone, load them up with plenty of pizza, snacks and pop, tell them they can watch as much TV or spend as much time on the computer as they want. They'll be happy and so will you. One night of unlimited television, video games and computer time will not harm the kids. A prolonged and regular diet of this behavior IS harmful. I'm not advocating that.

As luck would have it, today is that day for Tami and me. We are going to brave the elements and take off for the night. The good thing about all this ice and snow is that it makes excellent snuggle weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment