Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Keeping a lid on it

Keeping a lid on it. Holding the fort. Survival mode. Maintain. These are just a few of the things teachers say on the last day of school before Christmas break. This is the day teachers reach into their bag of tricks and do anything and everything to keep everybody under control. There is no getting around the fact these kids are out of their minds with excitement. It's probably not a surprise for you to learn when kids are like this, they don't always make the best decisions where their behavior is concerned. For some reason they view this as a special day... one without rules. As a teacher I walk a fine line on this day. I try to do a lot of fun activities that will keep the students occupied while also maintaining complete control and keeping order. The last thing I want is for someone to get hurt or to get into trouble as a result of a chaotic classroom environment.

I must also mention the internal struggle I have every year. This struggle is with gifts from students. Every year I get a pile of presents on my desk. This may not sound unusual for some of you, but most of the students I teach are living at or below the poverty level. To see a pile of presents from kids who may not get much for Christmas themselves is very touching (and does create a bit of internal conflict for me). Every year about a week before Christmas I make a quiet, brief speech about how I don't expect gifts for Christmas. Not a big deal, just a mention of how I feel. And then inevitably I get that pile on my desk every year. I open them in front of the class and make a big production of how much I love the gifts and how kind the kids are to think of me. I spare them the, "Oh, you shouldn't have gotten me anything!" comments. Even though I know many can't afford it, I do not want to deprive any child of the joy that comes from giving. The old adage that says,'tis better to give than to receive is so true. I graciously accept these gifts even though I secretly wish the kids would spend the money on themselves.

This year I received the usual cookies and sweets. I received some ornaments and also some restaurant gift cards.

Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment