Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Kids being kids?

Regarding my post from yesterday... Is today's post just a case of kids being kids? Maybe just some rowdy children very excited about Christmas? You be the judge.

I'd like to relay the events of the first 30 minutes of my school day. First thing every morning the students unpack their backpacks and hang up their coats. I went out in the hall to address some general rowdiness and horseplay (nothing unusual). While in the hall I heard a blood-curdling scream in my classroom. I rushed in to find a student shining a laser pointer into another student's eye at close range. This seems really dangerous to me. I don't know the specifics of laser pointers, but I've heard shining them in eyes can be harmful. After calming the whole situation, I attempted to explain the dangers of such activities and the value of a person's eyesight. The student who pointed the laser shrugged his shoulders, looked me in the eye and said, "I don't care!". After 23 years of teaching I still can't understand how some children can be so mean and have no remorse for their actions.

A little while later I heard a student yell, "I'm gonna smack the (S-word) out of you!" When confronted he lied and said he said, "crap". Sorry, I heard it with my own ears and the S-word and crap sound nothing alike.

That long winter's nap is looking better and better.

No comments:

Post a Comment