Monday, December 10, 2012

The (not so) empty nest

I'm guessing the parents out there are familiar with the "Empty Nest Syndrome". Parents who have had children to care for most of their married, adult lives, suddenly find themselves alone and staring at each other after their last child leaves home. Tami and I are not quite there, but we may soon take another step toward that empty nest. Believe me, it was hard enough when Jessi went off to college. We knew in our hearts she would never live under our roof again. But somehow her leaving was bearable because we still had two kids left at home. It's kind of like a batter who gets his first strike. He knows he has two more strikes before he strikes out.

For Michael's first semester of college, he has been commuting every day (about 35 minutes each way). He already spends so much time at school, time with his girlfriend and time at work we hardly ever see him. But at least I know he's sleeping in my house. I know he is safe and secure. For his second semester and probably for the rest of his college career, he is talking about renting a house near campus with some friends. As it relates to money, Michael renting a house is not much different than the money we currently spend on gas and food for him. This is very close to a done deal. The offer has already been extended from the owner of the house (a friend of ours from church). Michael will tell you how badly he wants to live out on his own (what 19 year old doesn't want THAT kind of freedom?). This kind of feels like the batter getting his second strike knowing he is down to his last one. If Michael truly does move out, Abby suddenly becomes an only child. She's a sophomore and is already making plans to go away to college. If she follows in her sister's footsteps, she'll be out the house, never to return in two and a half years.

This is frightening! I'm not that old! There is no way I should be less than three years from an empty nest... but in reality I am. This is a splash of cold water to my face! I feel like I'm down to my last strike and the pitcher is winding up to throw me his best pitch. Now more than ever I must cherish every minute with my kids. They are growing up so fast! I know Abby will be in college before I can blink. I can't believe how quickly time has gone.

Here's some humor for the situation:




No comments:

Post a Comment