Thursday, December 20, 2012

The Best Gifts

The best gifts are those that come from the heart. One of the best Christmases the extended Meyer family ever had was the year we gave homemade gifts. The theme was, "Bake it or make it. Grow it or sew it. Or buy it and lie". I'll never forget being driven to tears when my brother presented me with a CD with the following title- "Songs that remind me of you". The concept was simple. The disc was full of songs that meant something to the two of us together. Each song evoked a memory of its own. It was so simple, cost nothing to make and came straight from my brother's heart. To this day it's still one of my favorite Christmas presents ever.

My friend Mike Annis is a master woodworker and he creates gorgeous things. Last night Mike presented us with a gift from his heart. He made a wooden cross with an antique looking doorknob attached. At first glance you may scratch your head trying to figure out what it means. A closer examination reveals a reference to a Bible verse stamped into the metal plate. Revelation 3:20. This scripture says, "Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him, and eat with him, and he with me." What a beautiful, artistic representation of Christ's invitation. This gift is now on my list of favorites.

Tami and I were completely touched by this gift. This lovingly handmade masterpiece was created just for my family and our home. It's incredible to think Mike would put so much thought, time and effort into a gift for us. It went on the wall promptly. Here are a few photos:



No comments:

Post a Comment